I always try to have something “just in case” around the house this time of year. Every year without fail, a holiday event sneaks up on unprepared me or I forget about the mailman and need just a little something. Now, my mom has this down to a science. She has a goodies bag in her closet full of great odds and ends she finds deals on throughout the year. She pulls them out this time of year and of course steals the show with her thoughtfulness. I’m not quite on top of my game for that level, but try to at least be in training.
read it all
Enter this spiced nut mix. It’s quick enough to make a big batch all at once, it keeps well in the freezer for a few weeks and it is a crowd please-er. It’s great on it’s own to bring to a work party or package with some hot coco and a mug for a cute gift for the babysitter. If you still have some left at Christmas, use it as a fancy topping on yogurt or serve on a salad with a vinaigrette dressing.
1 Egg White
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
4 Cups Pecans
1 Cup Banana Chips
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Granulated, White Sugar
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Salt
A Dash of Nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
2. Combine pecans and banana chips in medium/large bowl.
3. In a separate bow, combine brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; stir to combine.
4. Briefly whisk together egg white maple syrup and pour over pecans and banana chips; coat thoroughly – like really make sure all of the banana chips and pecans have egg on them.
5. Pour sugar/spice mixture over egg-coated pecan and banana chips and stir to cover all surfaces with sugary goodness.
6. Spread evenly on baking sheet (line with parchment paper for easy clean up).
7. Bake for 20 min., stir, bake for an additional 20 min.
Let cool and store in air tight containers!
*Adapted from the blog, Table for Two